Friday, September 26, 2008

Why?

Sitting here alone in the quiet, my mind is racing... The windows are open, so I hear the children playing while they wait for the school bus to pick them up. I love stopping to take a few minutes to listen to my surroundings. I can even smell the brisk, fall breeze. It is my favorite time of year. I have learned never to take anything for granted... you just don't know what tomorrow may bring...

Wednesday morning, my husband's cousin, Mike (and good, good friend to us) passed away. I can't help but wonder why? He was going to be 31 in November and he left behind his wife and his toddler daugther. It was just 9 months ago that we buried his 10 month old daugther, Alex... It just does not seem fair that my friend has to lose her child and now her husband in such a short time. Why should one family have to deal with so much? Can't we share some of that burden? I am simply a friend and it seems so selfish for me to be upset... but I suppose I'm just looking for answers like everyone else. I'm tired of hearing the quotes, sayings and cliches... I know he's in a better place, but I really just miss him already. He was truly one of the greatest people I knew... He touched my life more than I ever got a chance to thank him for...

Mike lost his brother, Nick, 9 years ago. Mike lost his daugther Alex 9 months ago. Someone mentioned to us Wednesday that her thought was that they (Nick and Alex) needed Mike with them... We'd had him long enough... It's such a simple statement and it makes sense, but it's just so hard for me to completely understand in my heart.

I love you, Mike and wish I got the chance to tell you that one more time...

No comments: