Saturday, February 14, 2009

Landen's Hospital Visit.

Last Tuesday (the 10th), I had to take Landen into the ER. After being sick for a few days, he wasn't getting any better and on Tuesday morning, he was having trouble breathing. His doctor advised me to just take him there so they could do some x-rays and tests. Good thing we got there, because his oxygen counts were down and he was gasping for air. Turned out, his entire chest was seriously inflammed and this was causing him to work very hard to get breaths.

To make a long story short, we were transported from Dupont Hospital (after several tests) out to Lutheran on Tuesday evening and stayed there until Thursday evening. We had some "ups and downs" while we were there; but, after the first night, overall things progressed well. Landen was a good patient and did exactly as the doctors asked. They were impressed by his "breathing treatment skills" - of course, he's familiar with them because we've done them since he's been born! :) The only thing he didn't like was the oxygen tube that was placed into his nose! It "hurt" his nose because it dried it out and it was scary to him.

We are home now and we're working toward a full recovery. His chest isn't as inflammed, but he still has "congestion" in his lungs that is causing him to cough pretty badly. We've been doing breathing treatments around the clock and he's also taking an antiobiotic for a double ear infection (a side affect from the congestion). He's a little leary about going to bed at night - he thinks "they" are going to come and poke at him. I've tried explaining that he's getting better and "they" are only at hospitals and doctors' offices.... and "they" make little kids better. He understands and knows when he's done something great - like eat all his food to make him "stronger" and "drink all his juice" because it helps his cough! :) He even knows when he's played too hard and tells me when he needs a "break to rest". He's a pretty smart kid! :) Ha!

It's been a roller coaster of a week, but I couldn't be happier. A little tired, but still smiling... My boys keep me on my toes! We've had three hospital visits in the past YEAR (two for Graden and now one for Landen)... I really hope they don't think this is some sort of "fun" competition! Mommy is going to have gray hair soon! :) Deep down, I always know it could be worse, but let me tell you how hard it is to remember that when you're going through something and you're not sure what's going to happen. I'm just so thankful for my family and friends... I know it's such a cliche - but they're amazing and they are always there for me and for my family. I'm not sure where I would be if I didn't have them in my life. It's everyone else's prayers, thoughts, emails and phone calls that help us get through something like this... because somedays I'm just not as strong as I'd like to be when it comes to praying... I try though, and I'm sure that is truly all that matters to Him.

Remember to hug your kids, your pets, your significant others... whoever is important to you today. You really don't know what tomorrow will bring. Thanks again for your support and your patience and YOUR LOVE. My boys and I love each of you on this Valentine's Day! xoxoxo

No comments: