Thursday, April 30, 2009

breathing treatments and more...


Landen and Graden have both had a rough winter! The picture above shows Graden doing "the mask" as the boys call it... which is a breathing treatment. Graden got diagnosed with atypical pneumonia (we caught it when it was just starting) the first of April and Landen followed behind him getting pneumonia for real. The poor kids can't catch a break! Pneumonia isn't even contagious, but apparently the boys both started with the same strand of cold/cough that turned into something more serious. This was the "crossing the line" according to our doctor!

Graden went in to see an ENT this past Monday. He had two types of hearing tests performed. Our fears were confirmed, yet we were pleased. Graden can hear, but he has trouble hearing certain tones. This is ok, and should be fixable... We will be going in for "tubes" on May 14th. He has fluid in his ears constantly and even though his ears are red/sore inside, they don't always get infected. This should be treatable and is a normal, common procedure. We are not worried and trust our Doctor very much. This ENT is the same doctor who took out Landen's tonsils and adnoids not so long ago. He's wonderful with kids and gets straight to the point when he speaks to us about the boys. Throughout the time Graden has his tubes, we'll perform more hearing tests to be sure he's improving. Most likely, tubes will be all he needs... but there is still a concern that the "drainage tubes" beyond his ear drums may have an issue. Right now, though, that doctor thinks that is a small possibility. All of this is a side effect (after effect) from when Graden was so seriously sick with RSV (when he was 3 weeks old). Apparently, breathing with the support for so long can hurt your ears... They did tell us there were several side effects/concerns when Graden was in the PICU, but at that point - we just wanted Grado to BREATHE! Look at him now... thank goodness for wonderful doctors and FAITH.

Now, Landen... dear Landen. My little red-faced stinker! :) Landen took medicine for pneumonia for one week. It was a rough week! It's hard to keep such a busy boy down, but he did just what he was supposed to do and took his medicine without any compliants! During that time we also started taking one Singular pill before bed each night. He's going to continue this medicine for one month. On May 20th, we'll be going back into our doctor so she can report how he has done (I'm keeping a journal on when he takes his meds and his activity). She then plans to send us to an Allergy/Asthma doctor that she's worked with in the past. She believes that Landen will in fact have asthma, but wants to eliminate that he also has "allergies". Of course, this can change... sometimes kids grow out of this and sometimes adults gain them later, too. Landen may also develop an allergy to something even after we do all the testing... Either way, we know for sure that his breathing affects Landen's life drastically. I'm happy to report that I have already noticed a difference with this medicine! He still needs to take breaks to catch his breath, but it's better overall. We watch him closely and he's really good at knowing when enough is enough! This process for Landen will take time... lots of tests, medicine trials and visits. Most importantly = patience. This is harder for Mommy than it is for Landen. We do our breathing treatments on a regular basis... the boys are so good at them. Again, we are thankful to have great doctors and strong faith.

Of course, there are days I don't understand why both my boys have to have breathing issues. Somedays I wonder why both boys have had such a tough time - I mean, who can say they've had 5 hosptial visits in 16 months? :) (Three of which were by way of EMS?) Graden is better each day and shouldn't have near the problems Landen does... but it still hurts me to see them struggle. I'm telling you, there is nothing worse than seeing Landen GASP for air. Nothing. I know their illnesses could be worse, I do... so, I squeeze them daily (more than once!) and thank God constantly for bringing them to me and for watching over them as they go through this up and down ride. I know it may be awhile until we find out what exactly we need to do to make them comfortable... and I am okay with that. In the meantime, I will just keep enjoying them and doing what I can to keep them healthy in all other aspects. Thank goodness they're strong little guys! I know I shouldn't complain, but there are days when I just want my kids to be healthy... how selfish of me when there are kids that have it much worse. It breaks my heart... for my kids and others! Why should ANY kid have to suffer at all? Sometimes, I just don't understand.

My thoughts and prayers go out to our friend, Carley (4 years old)... who battles neuroblastoma (cancer) daily. I read her Mommy & Daddy's blog/Caringbridge website daily and I say a little prayer for her. I admire Carley's strength and courage... and I find it heart-warming just how tough an innocent little girl can be! I'm proud to say that I know her and her family. It's girls like Carley who keep me moving forward... who remind me that my life is good and that God is good, too! Carley's parents are amazing in my eyes and I love that they are so open and share their personal story... thank you Joel & Christina!

Visit Carley's page:
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/carleyhoffman

No comments: