Monday, September 16, 2013

Try and try again...

The results came in: Graden is making the switch from a BiPAP to a CPAP.

Apparently, this usually happens the other way around, but Graden needs a continuous pressure without any varying adjustments. (The BiPAP is a bi-level system and offers a different pressure if Graden fails to take a breath within a certain period of time -- it reminds me of blowing in a baby's face and watching them take a breath; the same method applies in the BiPAP.)

They say many people move from the CPAP to the BiPAP because the BiPAP is easier to tolerate... They say, they say, they say! Who really knows? If there's one thing I learned, it's that it is different for everyone, and even then, it can still change.

So, instead of offering the second pressure when he doesn't take enough breaths, we're switching to have a continuous flow of air, which is supposed to help him breath regularly... Try and try again...

We get to pick it up tonight after school, and I must say that I'm anxious. Not that I'm not excited, because I am. Goodness knows I had forgotten what it was like to sleep with a baby monitor and don't miss the days of waking up during the night. But, that doesn't take away the worry that this machine still may not be what he needs... Yes, I know: If it isn't, we keep trying.

I just realized I haven't heard back from our Neurologist at Riley, so I'll be checking in this week. Time flies when you're having fun, and all that... :)

On a good note... Graden is doing great in school (well, with a few minor exceptions - ha!). Landen keeps telling me he's proud of his brother, which just melts my heart. I wonder if Landen realizes that Graden is trying to be exactly like his big brother? :) Both boys can be stinkers, but I'll tell you, I hope they continue to support each other.


No comments: