Wednesday, November 13, 2013

What a difference a year makes...

Last year, we celebrated Graden's 5th birthday with Minion cupcakes and several smiling faces. We knew we wanted to have a big party for him because he was in the midst of trying to determine his "next step." And, while it was a fantastic day for him, we had no idea what the coming weeks would bring. As you know, through December 2012 and January 2013, we visited Riley's Children's Hospital a few times and were told at the end of January that Grado would have brain surgery in June.

Since that visit our lives have changed... I realize that sounds so cliché, but it is true. So very, very true.

I'll spare you the details from the months leading up to surgery; you can read about many of them on this blog. What I will say, though, is that when I look back, I can't believe that only five months have passed since his surgery... June 10, 2013 is a day I, Graden, and his family will never forget...

Now, as we celebrate his 6th birthday, I want to take time to acknowledge how thankful we are for his strength, his ornery personality, his love, his sense of humor, and his will to be his own person, even at his young age. Sure, there are days he drives his Momma crazy, but we can't imagine out lives without him.

I've stayed away from my blog for a few reasons: I am busy, I struggle to put my feelings into words these days, and I'm busy. :) Today, though, I blog from Florida... I blog to share my excitement for Graden's 6th birthday, to share my love for Grado, and to share my appreciation for the support, love, and encouragement we've received as a family through this entire journey. And, despite it not being over, I can honestly say this journey is easier because of the people we are surrounded by daily.

Tomorrow morning, my tough baby turns 6, and we will celebrate at Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World... Tomorrow we celebrate more than a birthday, we celebrate 2013 and the obstacles our stinker has overcome. :) 


No comments: