Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Sharing in the Spotlight!

Before I begin my usual update, I felt the need to shine the spotlight on Landen a bit.

Landen is amazing; there are many ways I could describe him, but amazing covers it all.

While he is your typical 7 year old in that he loves to play (especially outside), he tries to avoid veggies as much as possible, and he likes to stay up late and sleep in if I let him, there are also many things that aren't so typical.

Landen is smart.
I know you're thinking that all moms think their child is smart, but he is smart in several ways. Sure, he gets good grades and is always on the honor roll list, but his brain also works in ways that are beyond his seven years. He asks questions about everything -- not in an annoying way. :) Instead, he really, truly wants to know how things work, what words mean, and why things happen. Very inquisitive! Shoot, he's even been watching the DIY Network for fun! :) I love watching him as he learns new things; his teacher says his reading skills are excellent (just like his Momma!).


Landen is sensitive.
Again, I know what you're thinking. He probably fits the stereotype of "momma's boy," and I don't care. In fact, I love it! I hope he continues to be sensitive despite the gender norms that will push him to be "tough." I love that he gets his patience from his dad and his constant caring from me. Although, I can see he will be a "worrier" like me, too. (Boo!) Landen smiles at everyone, is wonderful with kids both young and old, and knows how you feel before you even tell him. He's very observant, especially when it comes to feelings. Sometimes he is shy -- he certainly does not like all the attention on him, but he is also very personable. I do not worry about him in social settings at all!

Landen is athletic.
Yes, yes, here we go again... All moms think their kids are awesome. :) And, we do! But, I also know that he has been recognized as being a good baseball player, which seems to be his sport for the past few years. He loves being outside, playing anything really, and, although he loves to read, write, draw, and color, he loves to play, too! The best of both worlds in my eyes... Someday, I'm sure he will be in college playing sports and studying something hard. :) From a very early age, he was gifted with excellent hand-eye-coordination. Often, I find myself daydreaming about what he will do when he "grows up." (Not too soon, though; I'm not ready for him to be grown.)

Landen is loving, helpful, considerate, polite, outgoing, and funny... and I'm sure there are so many more adjectives, but I'll stop, because the most important thing he is... is mine! He is my baby. My oldest son. My firstborn. My friend. Can you believe at 7 he is already my friend? Well, he is. He checks in on me, worries about me, wants to know how I am (especially on days when Graden has appointments), and loves me -- even when I'm crazy. :)

In the last two weeks, Landen has come home with 2 "Caught Being Good" notes, 1 Bowling Award (for being the top boy bowler in first grade), 1 Character Counts Award for Trustworthiness, an email from his teacher, and an excellent parent-teacher conference... And, again, that's only in TWO WEEKS! :)

Sometimes I worry that I'm not showing him enough attention when I'm worried about Graden, or quite honestly too tired to "deal" with him after a long day, and I know that isn't fair. So, I know, too, that I try to overcompensate and "brag" a little to my family about how awesome he is, and luckily, they don't mind. :) Deep down, though, I know that this kid is tough in a different way than Graden. He is "tough" for me, supportive in more ways than he may even realize. No, Landen would not do well if he were the one "sick" like Graden; he would worry constantly. Graden, however, can handle it, and Landen is the "support." Their relationship is becoming stronger and stronger despite the "brotherly fights" that happen here and there. :)

It's amazing that I was blessed with two little men who handle everything life gives them with grace, ease, and humor. As their mom, I honestly learn from them every single day and worry that someday my heart my burst with pride.

--
Disclaimer: Please don't take this post as me believing that Landen is better than anyone else's child. Goodness knows I love all "my kids" - biological or not. I just had to share why Landen is perfect for me!

No comments: