Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Is "thanks" enough?

This morning I wonder if my "thanks" is enough? Lately, I am extra mindful of saying those words -- thank you, but I wonder if others truly understand that I actually feel them, too? 


Over the past few weeks, and during some of the boys' struggles in the past, I have received emails, text messages, voicemails, calls, and kind words about how someone is thinking of us, praying for us, letting us know they will be there if we need dinner or anything, really. And, although I would do the same if the situations were reversed, I wonder if the person offering these small gestures realizes that they aren't so small to me?


It makes me think of Kate's Kart. Have you heard of this program? If not, you should check it out, and, while I hope you never have to experience it, I do hope you take a minute to smile at what they do for kids like Graden. Something as simple as a book makes these kids enjoy (if that is possible) their visit to the hospital. Just last week, Graden and I talked about how we will be giving back to Kate's Kart so another kid can have a book, too. He looks forward to seeing them wheel their cart around the corner... every time.


And, what about my friends? My dear friends. Sure, I post "thanks" on Facebook, but is it enough? Do you all really understand that I wake up every morning and count my blessings? I do. Then there's friends-of-friends and friends I haven't seen in years... and they take a few minutes to send me a note or click "like" and it sounds so silly, but it honestly makes me smile and appreciate their thoughts, if even for that minute that it takes to read a status. 


I realize I have cancelled plans, postponed dates or meetings, and not returned phone calls or texts as quickly as I would have a few months ago. I realize, too, that I'm forgetful and preoccupied. But, please trust me, that does not mean that I am pushing any of you away. Instead, I am slowing down. Taking time for myself. Enjoying the boys a bit more than usual. And, learning to prioritize and not take on more than I can handle. Your patience and understanding during my "time" while I help Graden on his journey is so very appreciated. Really. You may just read this, but please, please feel it. My words will never do my heart justice. I only hope that someday I can return the kindness, the love, and the patience.


I love you. Yes, you. Each of you.

No comments: