Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Celebrating One Year!

One year ago, at this very moment, we let a stranger take our child away for a surgery that would change his life - that would change our lives.

On June 10, 2013, at approximately 7:30 am, Graden's Chiari Decompression began. We were left feeling scared, nervous, and angry. I remember the walk back to our family. Phil and I had to stop in the hallway to take a breath (literally) and compose ourselves a bit before meeting them at our table in the waiting area. We were able to tell them that only our Grado would be excited about the "cool masks" and "cute nurses" he saw. We couldn't help but smile despite the situation.

I'm not sure I want to relive that day, or the days the followed, but you can read the details here and here. Or, you can check out my blog posts from last June, but I just don't know if it's the same as being there, living it, watching your child go through it... I'd like to think I have a "way with my words," but even I as reread my posts, I realized I couldn't possibly capture all the feelings... There's just so many flooding me even as I type this a year later.

Today, though, you can't tell. You would never know what Graden has gone through if I didn't tell you. Of course, you would see his awesome scar, but he doesn't mind that. He's got a few more rules he has to follow, but, again, he doesn't seem to care too much. He believes his brain is special, but we know all of him is...

I look back at our lives over the past few years and wonder how we made it. Then, I stop and think about our lives since Graden was born and smile knowing how far he (and our whole family) has come. He will be 7 years old in November, and I cannot believe it. It's not a "wow, time flies" kind of disbelief; it's a "holy shit, this kid has gone through something every single year he's been alive" kind of disbelief. And, as always, I never take for granted that it could be worse, but I won't say it could have been better, either... it made Grado exactly who he is today, and I am okay with that.

Since his surgery, though, I can honestly say this has been his best year of health! He made it through winter with barely a cold, which is quite miraculous in this family. He's been off his medication for months now, and there have been no signs of compulsive seizure activity (although, we do have a follow up in a few weeks), and he ended his first year of schooling as a successful Kindergartner.

I think it's safe to say this kid is tough. He's certainly my stinker and thoroughly loves keeping me on my toes, but who am I kidding? I would not have it any other way, because as soon as I consider the alternatives - being sick or having seizures, I remember that being ornery and driving me crazy is so much better.

So, today, in honor of his one year surgery anniversary, we celebrate Grado. We celebrate his strength, his determination, his sense of humor, and his heart. But most importantly, we celebrate his good health! Here's to one good year down and in the books! We love you, Grado!

  

No comments: