Friday, June 6, 2014

The last day.

If you would have asked me last June if I would have thought that we would make it through the 2013-14 school year, I would have told you - without hesitation - "no way." 

But, we did. Successfully, I might add.

And, in four days, we will celebrate the year anniversary of Graden's surgery. I'll save those emotions and reflections for another post.

Today, though, on the last day of school, I look back in awe of how far Graden has come academically. He's always been social - a little rough and tough, but social, nonetheless. I reread my posts every now and then, but I vividly remember writing about how he struggled in school. He was zoning out, unable to control his seizure activity and side effects from medication. He was doing okay with his school work, but he was just short of falling behind grade level. And, I was so worried about trusting his care to someone else...

Now, he reads, writes, counts, works through math problems, uses the computer, communicates, and follows directions at or above grade level... he is ready for first grade, and I cannot explain the relief I feel while typing those words. His level of maturity (again, still a little rough and tough) has grown, and he is becoming so responsible, especially in regards to his health restrictions and his learning. This kid has been through so much, and his journey, despite being on calm waters right now, is not over. The best (and worst?) part of this year is that he has learned why his brain is special. And, he truly believes that it's his brain that makes him the way he is. Little does he know that it's actually his heart. 

Then, there's my Landen. My big-hearted, witty, independent, young man who continues to grow up and become wise beyond his years. Sure, he's still only 8 years old and has a lot to learn, but he has such a determination to accomplish so many goals. I love and admire that about him. 

This, too, has been a learning year for him. He's been so helpful and protective of his little brother, he's had serious discussions with Phil and me about budgets (stemming back from why we sold our old house), and he's worked hard to remain on the honor roll while being a dedicated athlete. Plus, he knows it makes me happy that he loves to read, write, and draw... his notes to me are some of the best gifts I receive.


Just last month, he watched me graduate and wrote me this: "to my osum mom. happy grajooading day." (I love that he spells phonetically!) He drew a picture of me in my cap and tassel and folded it up into a secret note. I realized right then that all my complaining about school and struggles with managing my time as a mom, student, and teacher was completely worth it for my boys to see that the hard work paid off. (Now, if I can just remind them to go to college right after high school...) 

My boys are my life. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind. I watch them turning into their dad (with a little bit of their mom's attitude), and I couldn't be more grateful. Seeing them love, laugh, work and play hard... it reminds me why I fell in love with my Pheel. 

So, today, they left me, happy as two, ornery little boys should be, to have fun on their last day as a kindergartner and second grader so they could come home as a first grader and third grader. And, at first I thought something was wrong with me, because I am not sad about this - about them growing up. But, then I realized that this was such an important year in their lives that I could not be sad. I have to be grateful. Happy. Proud. A little excited, even, because I cannot wait to see what they accomplish next year.

First, though, we will enjoy the summer!

The boys on their first day of school (2013).

The boys on their last day of school (2014).

No comments: