Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Next Step

Yesterday, we went to Riley's Children's Hospital and saw Dr. Ackerman from Goodman Campbell Brain and Spine. This was the appointment we have been waiting for during the last three months; once it finally came time to pack up and make the drive, I instantly felt nauseous.

The drive went well; Graden was happy as ever in the backseat with movies and Sprite. We played a few rounds of I-Spy and "Guess the Animal." We laughed as Grado would quote the movie he was watching or start a quick anecdote with "remember when we..." Those of you who know G know that means he's about to tell you something hilarious. :)

Upon arrival, we had to wait a bit to be seen, but we never complain. So many times I'm sure people had to wait because of us. And, as I became my usual anxious, fidgety self, I watched Graden with an increasing motherly-love. Isn't it odd how we are reminded of our love during the least opportune times?

Finally, we were called back to speak with our doctor. We knew this visit was to determine our next step based on concerns that have developed over the past eight months (from when we met Dr. Ackerman for the first time in August 2012), but more specifically since January

So, we went through the detailed results of the several tests Graden had during February and March, focusing specifically on the sleep study. We re-reviewed the MRI from our visit in January, and we began weighing our options. Gradually, I was becoming aware that she was leaning towards surgery as our next best option.

I think I went into Protector-Mode, with the help of some adrenaline, because I felt oddly numb to emotion and felt like I was researching options for what could have been anyone's son. Phil and I both asked questions, engaged in conversation, and agreed with our doctor, after a long appointment, that surgery was it. Brain surgery is our next step.

Will it fix him? Not necessarily.

Will the malformation go away? Not exactly.

Will it help? We hope so, but nothing is guaranteed.

So, why brain surgery? Well, because we at least have to try. Most concerning to the doctor are the issues involving breathing that are (most likely) caused by his Chiari Malformation. Additionally, Graden does have a diminished flow for cerebral fluid to and from his brain stem. At this point, because of their rapid development, we need to go through with the surgery as our best option to relieve some of the pressures and side effects in that area of his brain.

I realize this is a lot to read, to absorb, to understand, and to see... Graden does not "act" sick. In fact, he is "functional" - "normal" even... But, we see it. We know of his struggles. And, I promise you, they are there, and they are scary as hell. Watching your child have a seizure, stop breathing... even struggle to breathe is literally gut-wrenching. Heartbreaking. Frustrating. Sickening... I do not wish for any of you to see what we have seen with Graden.

What does the surgery entail? Well, this link: http://www.seattlechildrens.org/medical-conditions/chromosomal-genetic-conditions/chiari-malformation-treatment/ -- from Seattle Children's Hospital has the best description I could find of the surgery. Brace yourself. It isn't easy to read. (Here is another link that shows illustrations. It's more descriptive of adults, but the procedure itself is almost the same: http://www.mayfieldchiaricenter.com/chiari_surgery.php.

Obviously we have several concerns. But, we've looked in to this, we've reviewed our doctor and her abilities, we've researched, we've asked questions, we've debated, we've gotten more than one opinion... We know that it isn't a cure-all, a fix-it, or the end of his road, but we most certainly believe this is our best chance of helping him relieve some of these very serious health issues, primarily his breathing (central apnea) and flow of CSF (CerebroSpinal Fluid). Our hope is that this procedure drastically improves the issues caused by his Chiari.

Now, let me answer some of the most common questions we've been asked and respond to some of the most common responses:

1) This surgery has nothing to do with his other brain defect - the grey matter heterotopia, which causes the seizures and seizure activity. Dr. A did suggest, as did our Neurologist here in FW this past visit, that we may want to consult another Pediatric Neurologist at Riley that specializes in epileptic disorders and such issues as the seizure defect. We plan to do that soon.

2) We do not have a "percentage" of Graden's chances for success. It's based on each malformation, child, and other issues that may arise upon entering the brain. So, I suppose it's about 50/50. We do it and it works, or we do it and it doesn't work -- it can't hurt to try. Of course, there are risks involved with the surgery, but we, very carefully, weighed those risks to the risks Graden lives with daily without having tried the surgery, and again, we feel this is our best option.

So, surgery it is. We hope to have it scheduled in early June, as soon as Landen is out of school. We will be at Riley for the surgery, which lasts about 3 hours. Graden will be in recovery for about 5 days, as long as all goes well. During the 2nd week, Graden will be released, but he will still be recovering at home. After the first two weeks, and for the three months following surgery, activity for Graden will be limited.

As always, I will post details as I get them. I promise to continue to share our journey. So many people have reached out to me, us, Graden... It is beyond amazing. Your thoughts and prayers, more than ever, are so very appreciated. I try my best to think positive, but there are those days when worrying consumes me.

Today, though, I feel confident in our decision to pursue this procedure. I remind myself how far Graden has come and I find strength in witnessing his growth, his determination, and his care-free attitude towards doing what he needs to do to feel better. As usual, Grado teaches me how I should live life.

Thank you for reading this post today...

No comments: